CIIC-IPL aims to promote scientific and technological developments, education and services in computer science and information technologies knowledge domains. These goals are to be achieved by acting in the following research streams:
- Multimedia and cognitive systems, covering among other topics, universal access systems, e-learning, training and education systems, entertainment and visualization, and image processing;
- Evolutionary and complex systems, covering among other topics, complex adaptive systems, self-organizing systems, evolutionary computation, genetic algorithms, artificial immune systems, collective intelligence, optimization algorithms based in biology, and social networks;
- Software engineering and systems, covering among other topics, fault tolerance and reliability, data processing, parallel and distributed systems, high-performance computing, operating systems, embedded systems, and systems interoperability;
- Data communications, covering among other topics, terminal, software, data and users’ mobility, quality of service, advanced models for networks’ management, architectures and services, and sensor networks;
- Information Systems and Web, covering among other topics, databases and data warehouses, enterprise solutions such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), business process modeling, Computers and Society, vertical Information Systems Applied to areas such as health-care, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), e-commerce and e-business, collaboration systems, semantic web technologies, and information systems management;
- Security, covering among other topics, information security, applications, systems, users and networks.
Current research is focused on the development of information systems, including human-machine interfaces, sensor networks, radio frequency identification (RFID), wireless networks, broadband support and remote monitoring of vital parameters of elderly citizens, social networks, Internet of Things, cybersecurity and digital forensics.
The research unit also aims to achieve and promote scientific research and technological innovation within the area of Information systems through:
- Promotion, coordination and execution of scientific research projects;
- Diffusion of scientific and technological knowledge;
- Encouragement of inter-institutional cooperation with both national and foreign institutions;
- Perform research and studies geared towards regional and national industry needs;
- Promotion of scientific and business-oriented events relevant to the scientific and business communities.
Finally, CIIC-IPL aims to stimulate and contribute to a strong scientific culture inside Polytechnic Institute of Leiria, supported by an agile research management model, guided by qualitative evaluation criteria, research, value creation and transfer performance indicators.