In recent years, The Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (IPL) has been carrying out activities in the field of languages and cultures, with a special focus on the teaching/learning of Portuguese and Chinese languages and cultures. These activities have been based on a close collaboration with the Polytechnic Institute of Macau (PIM) and the Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU). This partnership has given rise to the exchange of knowledge and experiences and has allowed for a greater dialogue with other institutions working in similar domains.
Present national and international contexts witness a growing proximity between Europe and China. Such a situation has brought to surface much of what brings these peoples together and that which keeps them apart, at linguistic, cultural and social levels. Despite the fact that languages and cultures are significantly different, peoples from both sides build bridges of understanding every time they learn the language of the other and learn about each culture’s customs and traditions. By strengthening the ongoing dialogue between institutions, those very same bridges will be equally strengthened, and different peoples will be drawn closer.
The Ist International Conference “Bridges EUROPE-CHINA” aims to bring together researchers, teachers, students and people with an interest in the topic, in a common space that will serve as a forum for the discussion of issues related to the language(s), culture(s), teaching/learning and translation/interpreting scenarios that derive from the growing links between Europe and China.
• Promote a better understanding and cooperation between Europe and China;
• Share experiences in the teaching/learning of European and Chinese languages and cultures;
• Set up a forum for the questioning of issues relating to European and Chinese languages and cultures;
• Question educational models in the context of present relationships between Europe and China;
• Equate present practices in cultural and linguistic mediation (European and Chinese languages and cultures).
Culture(s); Language(s); Translation / Interpreting; Didactics
Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Luís Filipe BARBEIRO
Choi WAI HAO
Maria José GAMBOA